The program promotes the nutrition and health of children and protects children and staff from illness and injury. Children must be healthy and safe in order to learn and grow. Programs must be healthy and safe to support children’s healthy development.
What to look for in a program:
- Teaching staff have training in pediatric first aid.
- Infants are placed on their backs to sleep.
- The program has policies regarding regular hand washing and routinely cleans and sanitizes all surfaces in the facility.
- There is a clear plan for responding to illness, including how to decide whether a child needs to go home and how families will be notified.
- Snacks and meals are nutritious, and food is prepared and stored safely.